CREATIVE WRITING - REFLECTION ON MEDIA CONVENTIONS

   Creative Writing 


Tutorial Assignment 12 / Reflection Writing: Media Conventions


From newspapers, magazines and books to blogs, e-books and social media, technology has allowed us to digitise our work onto the inter web making them accessible to anyone around the globe. Both hard news and soft news are now obtainable with minimum effort and maximum results through our gadgets. Information that was once needed to be thoroughly crossed-checked and searched through multiple files are now reachable with a swipe of a finger or even a voice dictation. Technology’s evolution has revolutionised and is continuing to innovate for years to come, immortalising our work further as it engraves itself onto the world’s servers. 


With that, consuming, producing and delivering media has become a daily routine. We get constant updates of current news, gossips, entertainment, political news and even on topics we do not even bother about! As of right now, I am sure the only updates most of us really care about are the number of cases and when exactly is the vaccination coming to Malaysia. Media has obtained the power to influence our perception and opinions, unconsciously persuading us to believe anything that is being said which brings about issues like fake news. This can lead to many misunderstandings and misconceptions amongst us citizens, but with this shows how much we do need news media. However, the way media is practiced and shared is our responsibility which brings about the aspects of media conventions. In other words, ethical rules. 


As an aspiring mass communications student, we get to witness firsthand how media works and how media is consumed. We are on both the giving and receiving end of media. Therefore, there should be “rules” or as I would refer to them as markers. The most important one of all would be TRUTH. Speak the truth and nothing but the truth as we have a duty to provide the utmost reliable and trusting information for the people. If we were to spew idiosyncrasies based on gossips of he said she said, what good will it be? Nothing but speculations and assumptions that will cause unnecessary fear and panic. Take a look at the spread of fake news during the first Movement Control Order: Special military helicopters will spray pesticides all over the sky to kill the virus tonight or, this is my personal favourite, place a mixture of garlic and onions and spices in-front of your main door to keep the virus out. 


As media students, we are aware of such lies as we would naturally fact-check on other trustable news media outlets, but what about our parents? The older generation are particularly susceptible towards fake news. Usually, whenever I hear such weird announcements, the first thing I would do is check The Star online first. The Star, as we all know, is one of Malaysia’s leading newspaper company as they are dependable. The next would be World of Buzz, or just about any news social media there is on Instagram. Instagram has been my go-to source for news these days due to its convenience. However, Instagram news accounts mainly deliver social issues about the society rather than the major issues happening in the country. 


I must confess, there are times where I would share a certain news without fact-checking. Mainly because I was blinded by my emotions towards the issue; anger, hurt, immensely happy or even for the sake of sharing because everyone else was doing it. Topics that I usually share about were social issues - baby dumping, animal abuse, educational topics, donations, missing people and of course the usual music and food recommendations. As times go by, I started doing less of that and instead I would focus on whether or not the people I share with will benefit from such topics. I rarely post on social media now as I start to understand my own boundaries and the type of boundaries I want to set for myself. I remember sharing an opinion of mine by agreeing with the infamous XiaXue about cancel culture on Instagram and I got messages asking me why do I support her, she is an awful person etc. The more I explain myself, the most exhausted I got. There were aspects of  cancel culture that she highlighted were clearly true and what other person understands cancel culture other than the person who has inflicted upon others and is experiencing it herself? 


Moving on from the short rant above, as a media student, we have responsibilities and ethical rules to follow. Apart from truthfulness, it is important to have objectivity, brevity and accountability whenever we share a particular news or producing one. Keep it simple, fair and take responsibility when need be. If not for yourself, at least for the people around you. 


(794 words)

Comments

Popular Posts